Homer's 10th annual Ski for Women event brought skiers of all ages clad in spandex, paper-maiche, and wigs to Ohlson Mountain's Lookout Ski Trails on Super Bowl Sunday to benefit South Peninsula Haven House.
"Ski for Women is one of those events that demonstrates how creative and fun the community of Homer is," said Event Organizer Kris Holderied.
Seventy skiers of all levels came out on the sunny day, raising $1,400 for Haven House programs.
"The money we receive from the Ski for Women is an amazing gift. The gift goes to supporting women and families dealing with domestic violence so that they can improve their lives and achieve their goals for safety," said Haven House Victim Services Program Manager Rachel Romberg.
Ski for Women is a nationwide event held each Super Bowl Sunday where proceeds are donated to local programs that help women who are victims of domestic violence. This year marks the 17th year for the Anchorage chapter.
"The Ski for Women serves a dual purpose; to benefit Haven House and expose people to Nordic skiing as a way to get out and enjoy the winter," said Holderied.
Getting new skiers out on the trails in a fun and festive way is one of Holderied's main goals each year. This year, a Brownie troop attended the event as their second day on skis.
Holderied has been organizing Ski for Women since 2006. In her eight years of experience, she has seen the event grow and has come to the conclusion that weather is everything.
"This is a weather dependent event. When you have costumes, you don't want to be out in a blizzard," said Holderied.
Next year's goal is to find creative ways to get more men out, making it an "equal opportunity" skiing event, according to Holderied.
She encourages anyone with ideas on how to improve future events to contact her at 399-4412.
2013 Ski for Women Costume Winners
* Best Partners: Lady Gaga's Brunch, Mikela Aramburu, Diana Carbonel, Jamie Gable
* Best Individual: Gum Ball Machine, Jeannie Walker
* Judge's Choice, Creativity: Invasive She Skis (Invasive Species) Women's Nordic group: Joell House, Cindy Sisson, Polly Hess, Mary Lou Burton, Stacey Buckelew, Devry Garity and Susan Clardy
* Best Groups: Girl Scout Cookie Boxes, Girl Scouts Troop 1935, and Girl Scout Cookies, Brownie Troop 564
* Best Attached Skiers: Tele or Bust, Sandy Cronland and Carlin Rauch