Story last updated at 3:29 p.m. Thursday, October 31, 2002

Halloween not for pets
The Homer Veterinary Clinic has provided some Halloween safety tips for you and your four-legged friends. If you must take your pet with you trick-or-treating -- and we strongly advise that you don't -- do not apply paints, dyes, bleach or other toxic agents to the fur or skin. These agents can cause burns to the skin and cause eye irritations. Pets can also ingest these products.

Keeping your pet home in a secure area is best, perhaps a basement or room where the pet will not be exposed to the various "spooks and goblins" ringing the doorbell, causing them undue anxiety and stress. This avoids a pet escaping to be lost or injured and prevents the chance of someone being bitten by a frightened animal.

Lastly, a word about pets getting into the "booty." Remember that animals can get very ill eating candy, especially chocolate. So have fun and protect your pets this Halloween.

Liz Clark, Homer Animal Friends

CONTACT US

  • 3482 Landings St.
  • (907) 235-7767
  •  Fax: (907) 235-6571
  • View the Staff Directory
  • or Send feedback

SUBSCRIBER SERVICES