Homer Alaska - Obituaries

Story last updated at 6:09 PM on Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Earl F. Fisk, Sr.

Dec. 26, 1931-Aug. 22, 2011

Earl Fisk, lovingly know to friends as "Papa Smurf" died peacefully Aug. 22, 2011, in Homer.

In 1981, Earl arrived in Alaska with his son, Earl Fisk Jr. He began working at the end of the Spit, at Icicle Seafoods, where he was in charge of the cleanup crew. He was employed at Icicle until an accident in 1989 left him unable to work.

Earl valued honesty, integrity and hard work. He began working at the age of 13 and before coming to Alaska had worked for a logging camp, as a carpenter and a rancher. In his teens and 20s Earl was a boxer. He also loved motorcycles and at one point owned an Indian.

He got the nickname "Papa Smurf" from playing pool. He'd end up with blue chalk all over, giving him the appearance of a Smurf.

In his later years, Earl loved to visit with friends and tell stories. One of his favorites was about Christie.

Christie met Earl when she worked at Icicle Seafoods in 1986. They would visit on coffee breaks, and when she was at college, Christy would send Earl cards and notes.

When she graduated she sent him an announcement and photograph. A young man named Sean had started working at the cannery, and Earl showed him Christy's picture. He said he couldn't wait for them to meet each other. Eventually they did meet, and Sean asked Christy if he could take her out on a date. She made him ask Earl's permission first. Earl said yes, "But I told him, 'no hanky panky,'" he would add with a grin.

Christie and Sean have been together ever since and Earl asked their two boys to call him "Grand pappy."

Earl had a soft spot for animals, especially those in need. Cats in particular. While living in Anchor Point Earl had Yenti, then Clyde and Thumper, then Stormy. All of them grew very fat under his care. Thumper in particular had a fondness for teriyaki chicken.

Earl nearly always had a cheerful welcome and twinkle in his eye, even on very rough days. When someone new would come to visit him, one of his first questions was "Do you love your mama?" The answer was usually "yes." In response Earl would say, "Then don't ever smoke."

He needed oxygen for the last years of his life due to smoking from the time he was 13 years old. Earl didn't want other people to end up in the situation he was in. It was his desire that people would see his condition and choose to stop smoking without having to experience the effects as he had.

Earl was a hard worker, a dedicated friend and an inspiration to many.

He will be missed by all who knew and loved him.

Earl is survived by his son, Earl Fisk Jr., grandchildren, and many friends.

Funeral services were held Aug. 29, 2011, at Anchor Point Cemetery and the Anchor Point VFW.