Name Residence Weight Charter Date
1. Clayton McDowell Eagle River 347 Homer Ocean Charters July 28
2. Joe Simpson Anchorage 313.6 Silver Fox Charters July 31
3. Dave Crawford Clinton, Utah 284.6 Inlet Charters July 21
4. John Capstick Kendal, England 240.4 Aurora Sportfishing July 30
5. Michael Severine Running Stripes, Calif. 233.2 Silver Fox Charters July 16 Clayton McDowell grabbed the overall derby lead and $1,000 in first-place dough for July, landing a 347-pound fish. His fish knocked fellow Eagle River resident Ruth Armstrong into second in the overall standings. David Osahl of Austin, Minn., took the early lead of August, landing a 235-pounder aboard Aurora Sportfishing's M/V Northern Lights. Derby tickets are $10 and can be found at many Homer businesses.