Homer Alaska - News

Story last updated at 5:36 PM on Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Brother of 2006 airport shooter killed in similar incident

By Michael Armstrong
Staff Writer

The brother of Jason Karlo Anderson, the man killed in a March 2006 shooting at the Homer Airport, died in a similar police encounter last Friday in Superior, Wis.

According to a press release from the Superior Police Department, Luke Anderson, 34, of Duluth, Minn., died of his wounds after a shootout with two police officers. Luke Anderson also shot himself.

The Duluth News Tribune said a friend of both Luke and Jason Anderson confirmed the men were brothers.

In a statement released Saturday, Superior Police Chief Charles LaGesse said that on Feb. 17 Superior police went to a Walgreen's Drugstore parking lot for a report of shots fired. Police determined no shots had been fired, but that an armed man, later identified as Anderson, had approached a woman in the parking lot and demanded and got the keys to her car. Anderson tried to start the woman's car, but failed, and then drove away in his own car.

Police followed the car and pursued Anderson on foot after he abandoned his car. Police alleged Anderson raised a large revolver at them. After repeated demands that he drop the gun, Anderson refused. He then went behind a trailer park and raised his gun as he turned toward officers. Police fired, and Anderson fell to the ground. Still holding his gun, Anderson pointed it at his chin and fired it. Anderson then started to get up, and officers shot again. He died at the scene.

No one else was injured in the shooting.

LaGesse said a preliminary investigation showed his officers did everything possible to resolve the incident without using deadly force.

"The officers were faced with a deadly threat and responded in a manner consistent with their training," he said in the press release.

Jason Anderson, then 31 and also from Duluth, died in a shooting March 1, 2006, with Homer Police officers and U.S. Marshals in the airport parking lot. Anderson had been wanted on drug charges by marshals and had been tracked to Homer. Homer Police assisted them in an attempted capture at the airport. Anderson was in a rental Jeep in the parking lot with his two children, Jason Anderson II, then 2, and his daughter Darla, then six-months old.

According to an Alaska State Trooper investigation, police and marshals approached Jason Anderson in his Jeep. Anderson raised a large handgun, shot his son and then raised the gun to his chin and shot himself. One marshal and three Homer police officers shot at Anderson. Darla Anderson escaped harm, but the boy suffered a severe brain injury. The state medical examiner determined Anderson died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound and that Anderson shot his son in the cheek.

After a review by state and federal prosecutors, no charges were filed against the officers involved. The boy's mother, Cheryl Dietzmann, sued marshals and police alleging their negligence caused harm to her son. She reached a $3.5 million settlement with the federal government, but the case remains open against the Homer police and the city.

LaGesse said an investigation into the Luke Anderson shooting continues and is being done by the Wisconsin Division of Criminal Investigation. An autopsy has been completed, but results have not yet been officially released, LaGesse said.

Michael Armstrong can be reached at michael.armstrong@homernews.com.