Homer Alaska - Sports

Story last updated at 10:42 AM on Thursday, January 24, 2013

Mariners' junior varsity goes 1-1 in ice action

By Norm Anderson
For the Homer News

The Mariner JV Hockey squad traveled to Kenai Jan. 16 where they looked to take down the hosting Kardinals. The Kards came out strong with an early push leading to a first period goal shot past Homer's Markian Polushkin. Homer's deficit was then doubled in the second period as the Mariners were yet to show their offensive presence. Misael Martishev and Hannah Larue then showed up midway through the second with two goals within two minutes of each other to even the odds quickly for Homer. Assists were credited to Clem Tillion, Ulian Kuzmin and Maggie Larue.

The third period was all Homer as Martishev scored his second goal of the night coming off of a Dawson Roberts' assist. Just over a minute later, Martishev got in on the offense once again, assisting Ivy Bloom to now lead Kenai, 4-2. The Kardinals pulled their goalie late in the third period in order to have another offensive attacker. This resulted in a goal past Polushkin, narrowing the gap to just one.

But as the time ran out, Homer held on to the 4-3 win.

Caroline DeCreft, a Homer High School senior, and a JV/varsity swing player shared her thoughts after the game: "Kenai came out strong and aggressive. They were quick to the puck and scored twice before we came through with a goal. At the end of the game when Kenai pulled their goalie we were confident we could hold our lead."

The Mariners JV also took on the Homer Bantam Glacier Kings Jan. 17 at the Kevin Bell Arena in what turned out to be a one goal shutout for the Kings. The Mariners forced 30 shots on Kings' goalie Riley Sawnson, who stopped every puck in his way.

The first period was an even scoreless tie as each team put up eight shots on goal. During the second period, Kings' Garrett Butcher made a backhand to forehand move on a breakaway, finding the net just above Mariner goalie Markian Polushkin's glove. The Glacier Kings then withstood the Mariners third period offensive attack despite the 11 shots on goal to hold on to the 1-0 win.