Homer Alaska - Obituaries

Story last updated at 5:15 PM on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Arthur Jerald Manginelli

Feb. 8, 1931-Dec. 7, 2011

Arthur "Art" Jerald Manginelli passed away on Dec. 7, 2011, at the age of 80 at his home in Wasilla after a long battle with cancer.

He is survived by his wife Eva Manginelli; his six daughters, Patricia Johnson, Toni Gideon, Tamera Moore-Grimes, Pamela Spicer, Monique Potter and Kimberly Manginelli; his two sons, Jerald and Kenneth Manginelli; his two brothers, Roy and Ralph; three sisters, Viola, Nita and Ellen; and many grandchildren and great grandchildren. His sister Alice preceded him in death.

Art was born on Feb. 8, 1931, in Fort Robertson, Neb., ready for his life of adventure. He ran away from home at 14 to join a circus and see the country. In 1947, he misled a recruiter about his age and joined the Navy, eventually helping to rebuild Pearl Harbor. He moved to Alaska in 1956 to continue his adventures and meet and marry his wife, Eva.

Working as a lumberjack in the Sitka area, rebuilding and relocating Valdez after the earthquake, heavy equipment operator building various airports around Alaska, and a gold miner were some of his adventures.

Art also owned a ship sandblasting and painting business in Homer and spent a good deal of time driving trucks on the Haul Road. "Dad was an Ice Road Trucker before anyone knew that was a thing," wrote his family.

He and Eva eventually settled in Wasilla, but his life never did slow down. In his scarce free time, Art enjoyed fabricating items from scratch using wood or metal, traveling, and spending time with his family.

"Dad's heart and hands were the size of Alaska; you could always count on him to lend a helping hand. His zest and adventure for life cannot be compared," wrote his family.

Per his wishes, there will be no services. His final resting place will be in Homer, which Art described as being "the most beautiful place he had ever been."

"Daddy was a real life action hero — our own John Wayne. We are going to miss him terribly. We look forward to being with him again on the other side," wrote his family.