Homer High School:
Saturday, April 14 — Prom will be held in the Homer High School Mariner Theatre
Monday, April 16 — grade check
Homer Flex High School:
Thursday, April 12 — Field trip across Kachemak Bay
Friday, April 20 — No school
Homer Middle School:
Track has started and goes until May 12.
Friday, April 13 — Homer Middle School movie afternoon
Monday, April 16 — Homer Middle School Site Council Meeting at 4 p.m.
Tuesday, April 17 — Mass Choir at Kenai Central High School hosted by Kenai Middle School
Thursday, April 19 — Track meet: Skyview invitational at 3 p.m. at Soldotna High School
Friday, April 20 — No school
April 8-April 13 — Artist in the Schools week with Ann Margaret Wimmerstedt
Friday, April 13 — Migration Art Celebration from 12:30-2 p.m.
April 24-26 — Ecology week with Homer High School peer mentors
May 18 — Save the date: Closing Celebration and second grade Promotion Ceremony
West Homer Elementary:
April 16-20 — Volunteer Appreciation Week
Tuesday, April 17 – PTO Meeting at 3:30 p.m. in the WHE Library
Friday, April 20 – No school
April 26 – Spring Concert at 12:30 p.m. in the Homer High School Mariner Theater
Paul Banks Elementary:
-Baseball: Monday/Wednesday, through May 2
-Sign Language: Monday/Wednesday, through May 2
-Outdoor Explorers: Tuesday/Thursday, through May 3
-Soccer: Tuesday/Thursday, through May 3
-Lego Creators: Wednesday, through May 23
-Art/Painting: Monday, through May 21
Friday, April 13 — Title-1 PreK Screening. Applications are available in the office or on the school website.
McNeil Canyon Elementary:
Thursday, April 12 — Jubilee! A Celebration of Children’s Art exhibit begins at the school
Friday, April 13 — Crazy Hair Day
Monday, April 16 — Parents of sixth graders about to enter seventh grade at Homer Middle School are invited to a meeting at 6:30 p.m. at McNeil to hear from representatives of the middle school.
Wednesday, April 18 — Site Council meeting at 3:30 p.m. in the library
Thursday, April 19 — Kindergarten registration will be held from 8:20 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.
April 25 — Science Fair. Display boards are available for purchase for $4.
April 26 — Spotlight lunch
April 27 — Community Council meeting at 1 p.m. All parents are welcome to attend.
The Homer Foundation manages permanently endowed scholarship funds that provide approximately $20,000 in annual awards to area students for a variety of educational endeavors. Scholarships that are currently available include:
1) Alain and Daniel Rieser Scholarship for foreign language study/travel
2) Homer Community Science Scholarship supporting post-secondary education in the life sciences
3) Health Care Providers Scholarship supporting students serious in pursuing a career in healthcare. Also available to students who have graduated from high school in prior years.
4) Drew Scalzi Memorial Maritime Scholarship supporting students of fishing families and/or students wishing to pursue a career in Alaska’s maritime industry,
5) Diane Wambach “Shoot for the Stars” Scholarship supporting education and training for young people with a plan to pursue their dream,
6) Kachemak Bay Medical Clinic Scholarship supporting students with outstanding academic achievements and a strong work ethic,
7) Beluga Tail &BelugaTale Writing Scholarships that provide awards in both creative and nonfiction writing.
8) Bill &Liz Johnson Teacher Education Scholarship, supporting students choosing education as a career.
9) Nikki Geragotelis (Fry) Memorial Scholarship is awarded to students that exemplify Nikki’s sportsmanship, athleticism, integrity and hard-working nature.
10) Ptarmigan Arts Visual Arts Scholarship provides financial support for materials and supplies, training opportunities, or college tuition to encourage and assist local high school students to further their education in the visual arts.
Applications may be downloaded from the website, www.homerfoundation.org, or picked up at the Homer Foundation or the Homer High School Counselor’s office. The application deadline is 4 p.m., Thursday, April 12.
Contact the Homer Foundation for more information, or if you are interested in establishing a scholarship fund or contributing to one of our existing scholarship funds, 235-0541 or email@example.com.
A Facebook login using a real name is required for commenting. Respectful and constructive comments are welcomed. Abusers will be blocked and reported to Facebook.