Mariner boys soccer racks up three wins
The Homer High School Mariners boys soccer team scored a 2-1 win against Soldotna in an at-home game May 7. The Stars broke a 0-0 tie three minutes into the second half. In the game’s 63rd minute, with goalie Kenneth Schneider moved to the front line and Brian Rowe put in goal, Schneider tied the game, assisted by Sebastian Talamas. Schneider scored again six minutes later, assisted by Quinn Daugharty. In Friday’s game against Grace Christian, the Mariner boys scored another 2-1 victory and racked up a 1-0 win against Palmer the following day.
The Mariners girls suffered a 6-0 shutout by the SoHi Stars on May 7, followed by another shutout to Grace Christian on Friday. On Saturday, they scored a 1-0 victory against the Palmer Moose.
This week’s Mariner soccer schedule:
• Today: Vs. Kenai Central at Homer, varsity girls at 4 p.m.; varsity boys at 6 p.m.
• Friday: Vs. Seward at Homer, varsity girls at 4 p.m., varsity boys at 6 p.m.
• Saturday: Vs. Skyview at Homer, varsity girls at 4, varsity boys at 4.
Torch Run set for 5k course on Spit Trail
The Special Olympics Torch Run is Saturday. Runners and walkers can register at the base of the Spit beginning at 9:30 a.m. The 5k event begins at 10 a.m. T-shirts are available for a $24 donation.
Hershey Track and Field Meet at high school track
The Hershey Track and Field Meet, a free track and field event for athletes ages 9-14, will be at the Homer High School track Saturday. Registration is from 9:30-9:45 a.m.; events begin at 10 a.m. There will be free T-shirts for all and ribbons for the top six finishers.
• For more information, visit hersheytrackandfield.com
• For a schedule of events, visit cityofhomer-ak.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/2014_schedule_list.pdf
• For a printed registration form, visit cityofhomer-ak.gov/sites/default/files/fileattachments/2014_registration_form.pdf
• For local information, call Mike at 235-6090.
Little League begins 2014 season on Saturday
Saturday is opening day for Homer Little League at the lower field of Karen Hornaday Park, beginning at noon. There will be team introductions and a barbecue lunch, with hot dogs and hamburgers provided.
• T-ball players, ages 4-6: Bring drinks (water bottles, juice boxes, sports drinks; no sodas);
• Baseball players, ages 7-8: Bring fruit or veggie tray;
• Baseball players, ages 9-10: Bring salad;
• Baseball players, ages 11-12: Bring slices cheese, onions, tomatoes, lettuce plate;
• Baseball players, ages 13-16: Bring chips;
• Softball players: Bring dessert.
Practices and draft will be May 19-23. Games are May 26-June 28.
Online registration for Little League is available at homerlittleleague.
For more information, call Kathy Beachy at 299-2774 or email