Ideas fair game in public discourse

Posted: October 24, 2013 - 9:39am

I was recently criticized in cyber-space. Here’s what was posted: “Surprised that the News published this snarky letter, which obviously was aimed at one person with whom the writer has a political disagreement with.” They went on to ask what a “natural born” anthropologist was. Here’s what I replied:

I’m not taking aim at one person. I’m taking aim at the whole swath of right-wing extremist in our area, Kearbearians, who Kearbear is representative of and prolific spoke-person for in cyber-space. Or does hiding out in cyber-space make Kearbear immune from criticism? I think not. Besides, Kearbear isn’t a person. Kearbear has made themselves emblematic of a political persuasion.

You know who I am, the face behind the Natural Born Anthropologist in cyber-space. You are more than welcome to criticize me personally for my public views any time any place. That’s what’s to be expected when you go public; that’s what newspapers, as the 4th rail, are, at their best, all about — fostering public and political discourse in the “market place of ideas.” Quite frankly I don’t know who Kearbear is and I don’t give a darn. But Kearbear as a mindset is more than fair game.

What’s a natural born anthropologist? Have you ever heard of a natural born baseball or football player or a natural born musician or writer or painter? Pardon me for my ego, criticize it for all you will, but I’m kind of like that. What’s an anthropologist? Go look it up.

Anyway, I’m my own worst critic. If you really want to take aim at my screed, criticize me for my chronology on when Denny Hastert became Speaker of the House. The correct date was 1999. The Republican Party came out of the political wilderness in 1994 to take control of the House with Newt Gingrich becoming Speaker.  (I won’t get into my anthropological sentiments about the Newt.)

Thus, I stand corrected even by me. Chronology and facts are important. I just wish Kearbearians were capable of standing corrected. Just ask Kearbear about the chronology of the history of the national debt. You’ll see what I mean.

Anyway, academic anthropologists sleep well. They go to sleep reading Claude Levi-Strauss. Myself, as a natural born anthropologist, I go to sleep reading Mark Twain, Kurt Vonnegut and, believe it or not, Shakespeare: To be or not to be, that is the question.

Tim O’Leary

(Natural Born Anthropologist)

Comments (10) Add comment
kearbear
Points
kearbear 10/24/13 - 11:25 am
Dear future generations:

Dear future generations: Please accept our apologies. Kurt Vonnegut

kearbear
Points
kearbear 10/24/13 - 11:28 am
Don't go around saying the

Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.
Mark Twain

kearbear
Points
kearbear 10/24/13 - 11:37 am
Neither a borrower nor a

Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
William Shakespeare

JackO
Points
JackO 09/04/14 - 05:33 pm
Coward

X

Herbert
Points
Herbert 10/24/13 - 02:53 pm
I would rather be a Kearbearian

I would rather be a Kearbearian than dwell in the world of mudslingers and guttersnipes.

natural born anthropologist
Points
natural born anthropologist 10/24/13 - 04:51 pm
Herbert

Herbert,

After how you Kearbearians have disrespected the President, look in the mirror. Ya, you'd be looking straight at at a Homo-mudslinger-guttersnipe, anthropologically speaking.

Natural Born Anthropologist

foxriverfred
Points
foxriverfred 10/26/13 - 02:59 am
Interesting......

From kearbear - Resident of a state that takes almost $2 in federal money for every $1 it puts in. What do they call that? Let's see.....wait.....oh, yes. Entitlement.
You're welcome-from the blue states.
Remember that the only way you're able to be a "rugged individualist" is because of the fed $ supporting the infrastructure you use every day.
Time to head back up the river.

kearbear
Points
kearbear 10/26/13 - 07:49 am
Foxriverfred Infrastructure?

Foxriverfred Infrastructure? Apparently you don't live in Alaska. We have next to no infrastructure. Unpaved roads unlit roads and roads that wind miles out of the way because we lack bridges. Now we do have military bases. Federal dollars come to Alaska to support Federal infrastructure. We have army bases, air force bases, and missile defense systems. We have Federal Parks and Federal Waters. We have the largest Coast Guard Base in the World at Kodiak. You're welcome from this Red State. Your first line of defense.

natural born anthropologist
Points
natural born anthropologist 10/26/13 - 11:35 am
Kearbear

On surface looks like you may have a point Kearbear, but scratching the surface that's a different matter. What we do have--why do we have it? And all that we don't have-- why don't we have it? We got a Republican State Government. They've got the money. Why aren't they delivering the goods you yearn for?

Or would it be best to divide up the permanent fund amongst us?

How many of us do you think would be spending their share in Alaska?

Its my hunch it would mostly be Alaskan natives inseparable from the land, guys like Fox River Fred who have come to live and be that and some folks like you Kearbear who don't like government, who are itching for rule of the jungle; itching for a state of Kearbearian the Barbarian.

Kearbear I bet you just love Conan.

Do you just absolutely relish the cold cruel? I think you do.

Natural Born Anthropologist

foxriverfred
Points
foxriverfred 11/01/13 - 04:40 pm
I forgot that!!!

Yes kearbear, there is not federal infrastructure that you use....except for every time you buy food from the store and it's safe, use medicines and they're safe, fly on aircraft that are safe, go through an airport, drive to Anchorage over inspected bridges on roads build partially with federal funds, etc., etc., etc. And about that Alaska Highway.
Of the $10+ b of federal, only about 1/3 of it is defense.
Again, life here would be pretty bleak without the help of the rest of the country.
Thanking people is good.
As far as living here, I still remember before the KPCC was the "new" Post Office. No bypass. Proctor's got their produce once a week. Howard had the drug store. Mike Berger had his tree. The harbor froze and we had to break ice to get out. Bumpo and Marcie's houseboat. The Seawife.
Fun times, then. Easier now.

Latest Updates

Spotted

Skip to News

« back

next »

• title http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/319323/ http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/319083/ http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/318768/
  • title http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/318673/ http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/318368/ http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/317873/
  • title http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/317838/ http://spotted.homernews.com/galleries/317823/
Sarah Outen Kayaking Photos