Two candidates file for city council, filing period still open
Halfway through the candidacy filing period for the Oct. 1 election, two Homer residents have filed as candidates for Homer City Council: Corbin Arno and Gus Van Dyke. Two city council seats will be on the October ballot. They are currently held by Bryan Zak and James Dolma. The filing period for city of Homer candidates closed at 5 p.m. Aug. 15.
Candidacy filing for Kenai Peninsula Borough seats closes at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 15. The ballot includes the Kenai Peninsula Borough School Board seat for District 9, the southern Kenai Peninsula, a three-year- term, currently held by Sunni Hilts. Also on the borough ballot are openings for four service area boards that include:
• Anchor Point Fire and Emergency Medical Service Area Board: Seat B, three-year term, currently vacant; Seat E, one-year term, currently held by Sandra Matthews;
• Kachemak Emergency Service Area Board: Seat B, two-year term, currently vacant; Seat C, two-year term, currently held by Mike Petersen;
• Seldovia Recreational Service Area Board: Seat A, three-year term, currently held by Mark Janes; Seat B, one-year term, currently held by Erik Schreier; and Seat D, three-year-term currently held by Vivian Rojas.
• South Kenai Peninsula Hospital Service Area Board: Seat C, two-year-term, currently held by Barbara McBride; Seat G, three-year term, currently vacant; Seat H, three-year term, currently held by Doris Cabana; Seat I, three-year term, currently held by Ralph Broshes.
Candidacy filing for Kachemak City ends Sept. 11. There are openings for three city council seats, each a three-year-term, on the ballot. They include Seat A, currently held by Tammy Hopkins; Seat D, currently held by Ted Heuer; and Seat G, currently held by Bill Fry.
The Oct. 1 election does not include any state of Alaska races impacting the Kenai Peninsula.
For more information:
• Homer City Clerk: 235-3130, 491 E. Pioneer Ave. or cityofhomer-ak.gov/cityclerk;
• Kenai Peninsula Borough Clerk: 1-800-478-4441, ext. 2160 or borough.kenai.ak.us/assembly-clerk/elections;
• Kachemak City Clerk: 235-8897 or Kachemak Community Center, 59905 Bear Creek Drive.
A Facebook login using a real name is required for commenting. Respectful and constructive comments are welcomed. Abusers will be blocked and reported to Facebook.